Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Gardening in Michigan

"It began in mystery, and it will end in mystery, but what a savage and beautiful country lies in between."
Diane Ackerman

My sister lives in Belleville Michigan, and she is too busy gardening to blog. So, I'm doing it for her, and posting her lovely daffodils. I asked her for pictures of her garden. Here's what she had to say yesterday:

"Okay, so I decided the late afternoon (well, 6:30) sunlight on this glorious 70-degree day would be perfect. Before I could get to the things I wanted most to show you, the batteries in the camera gave out, and I only have 2 of the needed 4 replacements. Then again, I am also out of beer, so a store run is not inconceivable, even though the light will be gone by then.... I'll get back with lilacs and yard improvements!

"I started with my favorite weed: ground ivy, gill- over-the- ground, other names. I adore its tiny orchid-like flowers, which set off my dandelions nicely! Then my lovely new creamy daffodils, still going strong a week after the plainer, smaller, yellow ones. Behind them, the rose hedge is leafing out and it smells like roses even without any flowers. The two tomatoes I put out weeks ago in walls-o-water are no bigger than the two still on my windowsill. The raspberries (from Gary's mother's house, where they had been brought from his grandmother's house in MN decades earlier) are budding.

"We have had such a string of perfect weather as I've never seen here before. I can only attribute it to Alice leaving the state. ;-)"

So much for gardening in Michigan. I was going to take a picture of my tomato plants, now beginning their serious growth, but we had an unexpected rain. I say unexpected because I have missed the weather reports because my tv was broken for more than a week. But the real reason I don't want to include photos of my tomatoes are that I don't need a red bag of water to shelter them like my sister's, and they're now about as high as the red bag in her picture.

My sister's daughter visited San Diego recently and I was reminded of her love of gardening as she enjoyed my backyard garden. My own grown daughter has a number of interests and skills that keep her too busy to garden. Besides, she once pointed to a tomato plant and asked in perfect seriousness, "That's a tomato, right?" So although it may be easier for me to grow tomatoes in my garden, my sister managed to cultivate a love of gardening in her daughter; and it's a mystery to me how I failed to do the same in my own daughter.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Cracking up. You may not have intended that but it still happened.

Annie in Austin said...

Hi Weeping Sore -
I just got back from Illinois and your last three posts really got to me! There were daffodils and lilacs and the stuff your sister calls ground ivy, but was known as Creeping Charlie where I grew up.

A few roots of lily of the valley rode home in my suitcase - although they probably won't grow here in Texas any better than in San Diego.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

kate smudges said...

I'd like some of those tomato warmers, although they'd be on for at least another few weeks.

Your daughter might just surprise you and turn to gardening. I totally shocked my mum... I don't think she has ever recovered and enjoys rolling her eyes skyward when I insist that rhubarb will complement the roses perfectly in my front garden.

Garden Wise Guy said...

Surrogate blogging. What a sweet sister you are. Thanks for bringing a bit of the midlands to us via San Diego. The daylilies are yummy.