Wednesday, February 20, 2008

As Long As I Can See The Light

"Put a candle in the window, ’cause I feel I’ve got to move.
Though I’m going, going, I’ll be coming home soon,
Long as I can see the light."
John Fogerty

A good way to slow down, I’ve found, is to spend an afternoon playing in the dirt. At some point the light tells me to come inside and take a shower. But first, after putting away my work, I slowly walk around and take pictures in my backyard. That’s why I have many pictures that attempt to catch the sun at precisely that point in the western sky. In summer, the sun sets from farther toward the NW, and in the winter, the sunset tilts further toward the SW at quitting time (I think I've got that right). I could see it two years ago when I took this picture in the magic golden time. I’ve always enjoyed the light and shadow of this, my favorite time of day, even on those brief winter before the twilight deepens. It gives me the feeling I get when John Fogarty sang “As Long As I Can See the Light”.

This year, February is not as gracious as 2006 in this picture. Today, no golden light before the blue of twilight deepens. Still, the winter here is generous compared to where I grew up.

But even in San Diego, I have more time for introspection, especially on days when the sun rarely pokes through the clouds. Not only do I miss the physical movement of gardening in summer, but I miss the golden sunsets. Often, when I cannot obtain direct garden therapy by spending the afternoon outside, I hide in past glories and muse over old garden pictures. So far, so good: I can still see the light.

6 comments:

Frances, said...

Yes, the memories captured of the garden keep us alive during many a winter's day and night. Soon we will be able to catch that golden light. Thanks for a thoughtful post.

Frances at Faire Garden

Unknown said...

Our garden is starting to come to life hear in GA.

Unknown said...

I wish I were better at preserving hard copy for wintertime needs.
I will live through you and your photos vicariously, ok?

Connie said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for your kind words!
I have also been browsing through garden photos and longing to be growing things again...have a bit of wait yet here in my zone 6b.
Twilight IS a magical time in the garden, isn't it?

Elle said...

Oh, how I yearn for spring! Particularly in this below-zero land I dwell currently.. I lived in El Cajon, on Greenfield, for a while. I wasn't a gardener when I was a Californian, but I can imagine how different it would've been. Thanks for the lovely photo!

AND thanks for the comment on my site! It was a joy to trace it back here to yours...

kate said...

I've always thought that my garden looked much better bathed in the light of the late afternoon.

There's something almost magical about this time of day ... although in June/July, it seems to extend into the early evening hours too.

John Fogerty ... haven't heard of him for a long while! It brings back memories.