Monday, March 12, 2007

Spring: Short but Sweet


A young Apollo, golden haired,

Stands dreaming on the verge of strife,

Magnificently unprepared/ For the long littleness of life.

Frances Macdonald Cornford wrote that about Rupert Brooke. But it also applies to the multi-colored freesia celebrating Spring in my back yard. Live fast and die young. The different colors that make this such a lovely picture appear because part of the bloom is already fading to indigo as it dies. I'm glad I caught it's brief, beautiful show.

1 comment:

kate said...

A beautiful, poignant picture. The scent must be something else.

It must be incredible gardening there ... I visited a friend in San Diego a few months' ago and it was as if I was on another planet.

I have the same problem as you do with seeds ...